Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Representing Numbers

We continue to represent and describe numbers to 1000 in our math work.  Today we added using a hundreds (or thousands) chart to our toolbox of ways to show numbers.  We can now use the standard form (184), word form (one hundred eighty four) expanded notation (100+80+4=184) base ten blocks (ask your student) write an expression (180+4=184) and a hundreds chart.  We will continue to practice before moving on to comparing and ordering numbers.

How do authors make their writing interesting? that was the question we explored and one way is to add detail.  We are eliminating the robot writing of I like... I like... I like... as it is NOT interesting nor is it grade 3 quality writing.  We worked on giving a fact.  I like the beach.  And following it up with a detail.  I like the beach.  At the beach I listen to the crashing waves and walk in the surf in my flip flops.  Adding detail after the fact makes the writing more interesting for the reader.  During writer's workshop we practiced this writing technique.

We also had our first handwriting lesson today!  So exciting!  Ask your student what letter we started with-

Please return the yellow STUDENT DEMOGRAPHIC VERIFICATION FORM



Book orders due tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment